Monday, December 1, 2008

"The Warnings"

Good morning! It is hopefully my last Monday morning at work for a while. Very exciting stuff!

We hope to hear today from our caseworker about what timeframe we are looking at for Thursday. I guess my mother's "intuition" that Colt was coming the week of Thanksgiving was off, but my football intuition stayed strong and my Oklahoma Sooners won the Bedlam Rivalry game and are now going to the Big 12 Championship! I'd been saying for a while I just knew Colt's first OU game would be the Big 12 Championship and I was right!!!

It's the little things that keep me from going absolutely crazy with anticipation and utter fear.

John and I were talking this weekend, just a little bit, about how crazy it is that in a matter of days we're going to be parents. It's so surreal, I can't even really comprehend it. Though John's pretty sure I'm stressed about everything as I'm totally breaking out and having major stomach issues...I process stress physically more than emotionally, I guess. I'm not a crier.

Anyway, one of the things we laughed about was all the things people have said to us over this process. Of course there are all the things people say when they don't know what's going on, that every person dealing with infertility has heard a million times. Lesson learned: don't ask people when they're going to have kids when you don't know their situation.

Of course there are things in passing we hear about adoption. Things like "I just don't understand how anybody could give their child away. I couldn't do it." Obviously it's not nearly as simple as it sounds. And we've become quite protective of N and her courage and sacrifices. It's truly the ultimate reflection of how deep her love runs.

But the things that have us laughing and rolling our eyes the most these days are "the warnings". It seems like when you're talking about having a baby, everyone is so supportive and excited..."oh, you're going to love it!" and "it's the most rewarding thing you'll ever do" and "you'll make great parents".

But the minute you announce you're actually having a baby (whether pregnant or after getting THE call) people turn very serious. Their eyes kind of get crazy, the smiles disappear. A haze comes over the room and their voices get very low. All of a sudden, "THE WARNINGS" begin.

"You'll never sleep again."
"You'll never eat out again."
"Don't buy any nice clothes because they will all be ruined by the baby."
"You'll never go on vacation again."
"You'll spend all your time inside your house."
"You'll never spend money on anything for yourself again."
"Well you can say goodbye to lazy Saturday mornings. You'll NEVER have those again."
"Your house will never be clean again."

You get the idea. After the serious warnings have been issued, the haze lifts, their faces return to normal from doom and gloom, and then they look around and give knowing glances to fellow parents in the room and everyone does a little cackle.

Um, where did all the happiness go? I mean, let's get real for a minute. First, how do the warnings ACTUALLY help me? Ok, I'll never sleep again. It's not like I haven't heard that from, oh, a MILLION people. Like everyone I know. So when someone says that, it's neither helpful nor new news. How can I possibly prepare myself, seriously, for the lack of sleep? Hey, how about I lay awake at night on my few remaining nights of sleep and worry about the lack of sleep to come. That sounds productive!

All of those things...there is no way to prepare for that until we're actually there. So, yet another lesson learned: encouraging, positive sayings to parents-to-be are the best. In most cases, they've been planning, waiting for, and anticipating their baby. Most of the time they're very aware that their life will change and sleep patterns will adjust. So I will not need to warn them.

Warnings that actually are helpful? Things about baby clothes sizes, or baby first aid, or baby diets, or product advice. Things that I might actually not know. But I can assure you...John and I have not spent the last three years wishing and hoping and thinking and praying about this baby without realizing the changes that will come. I promise we are as well-prepared for the lack of sleep as we can possibly be before we actually aren't sleeping.

But if you want to tell us how much we'll love it, how exciting it will be, how all the hard work is worth it to watch our child grow up healthy and happy...well, we'll take those warnings any day!

Gotta get back to work. Only 2 days left until I'm out for 8 weeks!

11 comments:

MtnGirl said...

You will love having little Colt! With the lack of sleep will come gummy little smiles. With the drool and spit up on you will come teeth and fun eating experiences. With the poopy diapers will come giggles while you change his pants. With the not so fun things, you will be rewarded with so many things that you will forget the lack of sleep, poopy diapers, etc. I cannot wait to see your little guy and hear how much fun being a Mommy is! Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

8 weeks sounds like bliss right now! :) I have a daily countdown on my outlook calendar of how many work days I have left. Currently: 57 sweet days. I think I can make it. :)

I can't wait to "meet" mr. colt. Even if it IS before an OU game. ;) Too bad we won't be playing you guys this year, next year is right around the corner though.

Bri said...

I could have written this post! Hubbs and I were talking about this a week or so ago. Imagine what people would do if you just said, "What?!?!?! What do you mean I won't get to sleep? Well, nevermind, then!" I know sometimes I am ultra sensitive about all things adoption, but it is really amusing how people feel the need to fill the air with something, anything!

I can't believe how fast the time has gone! I am so excited for you guys!

VickieLynnHomies said...

Ya know, Billy and I only went out to eat a few times. The first time he was 6 weeks old and we went to Texas Roadhouse because your momma had given us a gift card :) There were two women sitting across from us that commented on how cute Dru was and asked if he was our first and so on... after they left our waitress told us that they had paid for our dinner! It was so nice! It was a great first outing too. Dru slept the entire time.

Emily said...

You are going to be doing so much laundry.

Just a little FYI for ya there.

:)

Becky said...

After all that we went through for 7 years......none of the 'negative' stuff about having a baby or being a parent even mattered!! Not one tiny bit!! It was all, and has all, been utter bliss for me!!! You will enjoy and appreciate it all so much more!! I think that is true for everything in our lives that don't come easily! There is no taking it for granted!
It's all good!!!

Anonymous said...

OK, well: I slept like crap when I was on crazy amounts of hormones, I didn't feel like eating out when I was completely depressed, I couldn't buy nice clothes because I was fat from all of the hormones, our vacations revolved around my cycles, I spent all of my money on IVF, and most Saturday mornings I was up at the crack of dawn to get ultrasounds and bloodwork. I imagine all of these sacrifices will be MUCH sweeter when the reason is a BABY! Just tell them all THAT, ha ha!

You are going to be overwhelmed with happiness, I just know it :)

Jessica said...

Oh, Holly...Amen. You're SO right! That is what I'm going to say from here on out!!!

Natalie said...

Jess, when you hold your baby in your arms for the first time it won't matter that you are not going to sleep, that your house and clothes are going to be messy...You will be filled with so much love and thanks to God that NOTHING else will matter!

We got the same warnings before Hannah arrived and you know what I never thought of them again!

Yes it is going to be an adjustment - but all a baby needs is love, a dry butt and a full belly! That's it - they aren't that complicated!

It used to drive me crazy when people said "sleep as much as you can now...you will need it!" How do you "bank" sleep in advance? You can't!

Now that Hannah is running around and keeping me busy, I'm sometimes sleeping at 8pm!

Enjoy the last few days of work and I can't wait to meet you little man

xxx

Anonymous said...

This made me laugh so much. I think the warnings are because parents just want you to appreciate what you have now. I know I feel that way, I truly, no kidding, hope you can appreciate eating dinner with both hands :) :) :)

Jenny said...

You will have a little lack of sleep, but make sure you sleep when the baby is sleeping. You can catch a nap when you are home for your 8 weeks.
I would like to give a few tips I have learned from being a mom. I hope they are helpful!
1. Keep a bottle of spry and wash on your changing table and when they start eating in the kitchen. There will be major poop happening and you will want to spry it down so even if it sits in the laundry for a week it will not be stained forever. Also apples stain really bad! Make sure if you are giving baby apples that the are eating without a shirt on. If you forget rinse out the clothes right away or you can say goodbye to the outfit.
2. 2 layers on the crib! When you put the sheets on the crib put on the mattress cover and then a sheet, and then another mattress cover and sheet on top of that. Then in the middle of the night when the bed gets wet for what ever reason (poop, spit-up, pee, ect..)Then you just take off the top sheet and mattress cover and you are not having to totally change all of the sheets. It will save a lot of time and un-needed stress when you are half awake in the middle of the night.
3. Relax! You will be an amazing mom! None of us know what we are doing with our first child... or second for that matter, but that is why God sends them to us as babies. They will not remember all of the dumb things that we do... and do not be afraid to ask for help. People would love to come hold a litle baby so you can take a shower!