Well, I promised I would update as soon as I knew something. Unfortunately, it's not much more than what we knew before.
N went to her doctor's appointment yesterday. She has still not dilated past a 2. And the doctor is refusing to set an induction date. He wants nature to take it's course. So he sent a tearful, stressed, sleepless teenager home yesterday with no end in sight or positive news. She had strong enough contractions on Tuesday night that landed her in the hospital...who also sent her home because it was false labor. And she's not dilated further than she did over 2 weeks ago. To me that would be a sign we need to do something, but I'm not a doctor.
I am soooooooooooooo frustrated. Of course for us, we're impatient and we're ready to meet Colt face-to-face. But I'm so frustrated for N. She was so upset yesterday, our caseworker said she could barely speak. She NEEDS an end date. She needs to have something to look forward to. This doctor knows the situation, knows about the adoption plan and is supposedly supportive. I don't think he's putting her best interests at heart...knowing that it's more than just giving birth for her, she also has to prepare to let go. He's prolonging it and it's not fair to her. The baby is healthy, a good size, she's healthy...
Part of me wonders if maybe he's not as supportive as he says he is and is prolonging it so that she has more time to think about parenting. But I'm trying not to get too caught up on that thought.
So, we wait. Still at work. And we're going to go ahead and make weekend plans and go on like he won't be here until Valentine's Day or something!
In the back of my mind I'm also very concerned about the weather. They are predicting a pretty significant ice storm to move in Sunday night and stay until Tuesday or Wednesday. Those of you that live with me in Oklahoma know the devastation and danger that recent ice storms have brought to the state. So you can only imagine the stress of having to drive through it when she goes into labor, or drive through it to come home, or get stuck in the town of his delivery for days as it passes. It could also close down cities and counties and prolong the court date as well, increasing the amount of time we have Colt at legal risk.
I know, I know...God is in control. Please don't tell me that because I KNOW. He will take care of us, he will provide, he has a plan. I do trust him, but I sure wish he'd take away some of my worries. I don't want to worry about an ice storm on top of worrying about a newborn AND the adoption process!
That's all I know. I'm still not totally back into blogland, not reading other blogs and not Facebooking or Twittering. I just wanted to give you guys an update. Love your thoughts, prayers, sweet comments, and all of your support. It means so much.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
11 comments:
WE LOVE YOU!!! and are praying, praying, praying. He will be so worth the wait! :)
xoxoxo,
aimee
Habakkuk 2:3
Just sending some ((((HUGS)))) and prayers.
Hugs Jess! I just wanted you to know that we are thinking and praying for you guys.
First off, you know Mike, Gary, and Rick love to freak us out over the weather. We might only get a small drop and they would have predicted a Storm of the Century (remember that one). So, lets wait until it gets closer to start freaking. It's not supposed to be here until Sunday which probably means Monday and maybe he'll be here by then. That's still 4 days away. AND they are only saying 30% chance. Ice and sleet POSSIBLE! I've seen them predict 80% and nothing happen.
And worse thing is you have to stay in a hotel but, guess who you'll be holding :) Think of it as a vacation, they might even have an indoor pool :)
Don't worry about things you can't control like the courts. M-Kay.
I was going to suggest for N to go in crying into her appointment but that sounds like she has already done that. I've seen some docs set an induction after a crazy pregnant lady is crying in their office. :)
She could always try castor oil! )
Love ya!
Hi Jessica, I know you're frustrated, but it is considered safe for a mom to go 2 weeks past her due date...a full-term baby is from 38 to 42 weeks! Even though Colt is healthy, there could still be a real biological reason he needs to "cook" a bit longer, and N's doctor might be the type who believes that. I actually feel the opposite, that it's wrong for doctors to induce a baby on its due date unless there's a medical reason for it. So maybe the doctor is just in favor of natural childbirth with fewer interventions, which is great! It is common for first-time moms to go much earlier or much later than their due dates, because it's the first time their bodies have "done this." Sorry for the unsolicited advice, but I hope it helps you feel better. I know it's hard to deal with this part of the waiting...hang in there. (((Hugs)))
Forgot to mention, too, that being induced makes it statistically more likely that N would end up with a C-section, and I'm sure you're not wishing that on a teenager! :) If she goes into labor naturally she's statistically more likely to be able to deliver vaginally.
Welcome to motherhood! Waiting for the baby is THE WORST!! Both of my girls were early, but there was still that fear of "I hope my water doesn't break in the middle of church", or can this hurry up, i have plans! Jillian was born during an ice storm and Abby was during an electrical storm. I rushed Abby's birth because I was dialated to a 2 for weeks! I was tired and uncomfortable and had been on medicine to stop labor and then couldn't get labor going. I wished I had waited and let her decide because induced labor sucks. I pray that Colt will come soon and that it will be easier on N because you waited. I know it must be tough on all of you, but maybe it's best in the long run? How frusterating! I'm sorry that I can't make this any faster for you or John. Babies have a mind of their own about when they want their birthday to be. See, the attitude starts early. Can't wait to meet your patient son! :)
I've always wished God would send us little memos. You know "RE: My plan for _____". Waiting is soooo hard.
{{{HUGS}}} and prayers sent your way.
Oh and I agree with Audrey on the whole Oklahoma weatherman syndrome. You should see what the Louisiana weathermen do when the wind blows.....HURRICANES A COMIN'!! Right...whatever dude!
Hang in there - thinking of you guys
Sending lots of hugs and prayers
xxx
We waited like this in our first match.......it was so painfully excrutiating b/c of all the anxiety! Try to relax and let go!!
Sorry you are having to go through this. It sounds so familiar to our story. The doctor let our bm go way too long past her due date even knowing that we had traveled all the way from Texas to Georgia to be there for the birth. It was so frustrating and we dealt with a bunch of idiots at the hospital too that were not at all supportive of her adoption plan. Now, though, that we have our angel at home, its a blip in our story. I know that once you have your sweet Colt in your arms that this waiting and not knowing will be soon forgotten. Good luck and hang in there.
I pray that the weather cooperates. There is nothing like ice storms in OK and N. Texas.
We love updates! We are hanging on the edge of our seats right along with you!
Post a Comment