Thursday, December 18, 2008

They kept saying thank you

While I continue to blind my son with camera flashes, and while I continue to try and put into words our last 48 hours, I thought I'd leave you with some photos of our "coming home" experience. It's ok to feel overcome with jealousy. He's beautifully addictive.

One thing that has sat with me since we left yesterday is the moment when N and her grandmother brought Colt to us as they were leaving the hospital. I'll talk about it more later, but I just keep thinking about how they told us over and over again "thank you".

I'd never thought of it that way. WE are as much a blessing to them as the gift they are giving us. When I think that I can't possibly say thank you adequately enough, I already have. We are her blessing...we're giving her son the life she dreams for him. We're giving her the chance for the life she dreams of for herself.

Thank you...those words have given me a lot of peace.











7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a blessing for sure!

He looks so snuggled in with his hat and blankets. :) We have your carseat, btw, you can remind me how heavy it is in 6 months... everyone else already is. ;)

Anonymous said...

I have been thinking a lot about N over the past couple of days - and about you as well, obviously - but just thinking how bittersweet the whole adoption experience is, how full of loss and gift it is. I think the way you write about N has made that very real. And I think her 'thank you' shows that for all involved there is loss and gift wrapped up together. Very moving. And very appropriate for the Christmas season!

Anonymous said...

Oh, and I also meant to say once again just how precious he is. So, so gorgeous! I can well appreciate how addictive he could be! :o)

Melba said...

CONGRATULATIONS, this is so wonderful!!

Jessica said...

Wow! What a blessing from N and her family. It didn't dawn on me until I read that how much I would LOVE to hear that from our daughter's birth family. Not that I want or NEED to be thanked. I just would like to know that they are at peace with their decision.

Glad y'all are all home!

Becky said...

So glad you are home safe and sound! That is wonderful that they feel so secure in what they have done!

Anonymous said...

That carseat picture is too cute! When they were leaving the hospital, G told us a few times that he loved us, and I think it was a similar emotion to what you're describing.