Monday, November 3, 2008

The day we found out how much you're loved

My Dearest Colt,

Wow, for someone who isn't even here yet you sure are spoiled! Could you feel everyone's thoughts yesterday? You may have heard the resounding "aaaawwwww" all the way in utero it was so loud at some points!

In case you didn't know, yesterday was your first baby shower. And it was quite perfect, I must say. Around 60 people were there, which is mind-blowing to me. Right now, I'm having a hard time processing it all. Then again, anytime I try to think about something related to you I'm easily distracted by dreams of your pinchable cheeks and baby coos. Dude, even looking at Bumbo trays and bottle brushes make me all gooey inside and I lose all intelligent thought. It's no surprise that 60 people with presents is just too much for me to comprehend.

I am going to spend my life telling you how incredible your Mom and Dad's friends are. It's probably going to make you incredibly self-centered, but you should know that your parents are SO cool and so friendly that people like to be around us. And give us stuff! Every time you get dragged to yet ANOTHER Starbucks night with our friends, don't complain. Because when you do I'm going to wave a picture of all the presents you got yesterday in your face and tell you that the greatest thing that ever happened to you was the relationships we built before you were born.

Colt, luckily your dad and I grew up in Christian families. We've never known what it's like to NOT have a church family to surround us and support us. This is a huge blessing, one that you will also know. We could not have made it through everything we've been through to get you without our church family. Heck, we wouldn't have even met each other if it wasn't for our church family! So we're fortunate. Yet another thing I will spend my life telling you about, and making sure you tell others.

Yesterday I looked around the room and saw all three of your aunts, Mimi, Grandma, and many other doting "aunts" (including crazy "Aunt" Emily who planned the whole thing). I could hardly breathe knowing how much they loved me, your dad, and you. You'll spend many an hour in that church building growing up, and hopefully your best friends will be there (I've already been assured that, despite the one-year age difference, Dax will be one of your best friends). But one thing you'll never fully understand is the anticipation of your arrival.

Just be thankful. And at night when we say our prayers and we tuck you into bed let's remember to pray for all of them like they prayed for us. And never forget how much you are wanted.

I love you, and I can't wait to see you. Hurry up! Ok, please wait for at least 8 more days, but after that hurry up!

Love,
Mommy

5 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Best thing? You get to do it all over again in 3 weeks with about 45more people that love the three of you. WooHoo!

Note for Emily: Bring it!

Emily said...

I cannot take credit...I just delegate.

But if you want me to take credit...ok!

Liz: It's done been broughted.

Audrey said...

Wiping tears!

It was such a joy for me to see you opening all of those presents for YOUR baby. You, Jess, are a mommy!

:)

Melba said...

this is so very sweet...

not so zen momma said...

Oh Liz and Emily, I don't think you know what you started...