My blog friend Karen is doing a very interesting series of posts on their decision to adopt and their experience in bringing their daughter, Evie home. I have kind of been keeping everyone updated as we go, but there are still so many things I've left out. My blog was primarily started for my friends and family, so paperwork and teeny details seemed not-so-interesting at the time.
But, like Karen, I've found a whole new readership and so many fellow adoptive parents that read. And one day, I hope my story will inspire someone else to follow our path. But I know it's incredibly overwhelming and scary when you start out.
I could not have gotten through all this without the advice and support of my two amazing friends, Aimee and Ashley. I've talked about them before, and I did not know them until we were thinking of adopting. Through mutual friends we met and they gave me so much guidance to find the right place, ask the right questions, and open my heart to an open adoption.
If I can help even one person the way Aimee and Ashley helped me...well, then I'm paying it forward.
I say all that for now so you can tune into what Karen is writing. Everything from:
- Deciding to adopt: suggested reading
- Choosing international vs. domestic adopton
- Choosing an agency
- Writing a birthparent letter
- Creating a profile
- Talking to friends and family about adoption
I think she also plans to talk about open adoption. One of these days I'm going to share with you all I've learned about that, because if you'd asked me this time last year what my thoughts were on that....they would be VERY different than they are now. I could never adequately describe my feelings for N, nor how much I want to have a relationship with her. I know not everyone understands that...but after talking with friends, meeting with birthfamilies at our seminar, reading the research, and really praying for N and learning about her as a person it makes so much sense to me.
Anyway, thanks Karen for doing this now and I hope to do something similar one day as well!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I am also a reader of Karen's blog, though I haven't yet caught up with all her recent posts you mention here.
I feel the same way you do--I hope I can inspire/help even one other person to pursue adoption, that will make me so happy.
Melba
Do not look at the time stamp on this comment, please. :)
Thanks so much for mentioning me, I really hope that my info ends up being helpful to a few people searching Google. And maybe my posts will inspire other bloggers to do the same type of thing for international, special needs, toddler and foster care adoptions, because I'm too aware of how limited my experiences are.
Thanks for mentioning open adoption because I hadn't really thought of doing a post on that but it's a great idea. J and I were hesitant about open adoption at first, too. I think everyone is! The mythology of adoption leads you to think that if the birth parents know who you are they will come steal the baby back from you! It took us a couple of months back in 2007 to come to grips with the fact that that sort of thing happens SO rarely. People just think it does because it ends up on the news and in movies. Sorry for the rant. :)
Hey! Check out my blog and pick up your award!
Jess, You are so welcome, and I know you will be an incredible advocate for adoption, and open adoption! I can't wait to meet little Colt ~ it seems like only yesterday when we had that first meeting, and soon you will be holding your precious bundle. God is so Awesome!
xoxoxo
Post a Comment