So, remember how I've said on this blog that I "never" felt jealous or hurt when friends announced their pregnancies while we were trying? That's a lie (obviously! Internet, you can see right through me). Of course, it's only natural even if you aren't having trouble getting pregnant to feel a little jealous when someone's life takes the turn you've been hoping for.
But instead of dwelling on it or making a big deal I just dealt with it. And there was one consistent, fool-proof way to work on it. It involved watching endless episodes of "Sex and the City" and eating Ben and Jerry's chocolate fudge brownie ice cream.
I don't know what it was about SATC. Maybe it was my love affair with New York City. Maybe it was the outrageous clothes. Maybe it was the camaraderie of the girlfriends. Maybe it was the drama. I started watching the reruns on TBS, but soon turned to the DVD episodes to catch up.
I know it sounds so silly, but Carrie, Miranda, Charlotte, and Samantha became like friends to me. They cheered me up when I was oh-so-down (no less thanks to Ben and Jerry). And I still watch everytime it's on TBS, even opting for it over Colbert and the Daily Show. They make me laugh, and make me feel like I'm no less of a person because I don't have kids yet. I could be single and living in NYC and still be happy.
And slowly, but surely, I began to realize that I could be married, surrounded by friends and family, in a medium-sized town in Oklahoma and be ridiculously happy. And I could be happy for others who had what I didn't....this was a big step.
Anyway, all that to say I love SATC. I love the characters and feel personally drawn to them. And I was so, so excited to see the movie and yesterday I FINALLY made it. I was lost in the screen for over 2 hours and loved every minute. I'm ready to go see it again, and I'm ready to buy the episodes on DVD so I can catch up with my TV friends anytime I want.
It's the little things that get you through and help you heal. And surprisingly, the lives of 4 not-so-real women in NYC got me through. Go see the movie...it's delicious!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I once heard someone say that one of Satan's favorite tools against us is to have good things happen to other people. SO true. Whether it's someone getting a new house, a great job offer, or, yes, even announcing a pregnancy, it can be hard to be happy for someone when you are dealing with your own struggles.
And as I've said before, B&J's Fudge Brownie got me through many a tough day.
So, So true, Emily. Sometimes you can even be perfectly content with your life and something REALLY good can happen to someone you know and all of the sudden you're no longer content. Funny how life likes to keep us on our toes.
I sob when told and feel a guilt to overwhelming after I do, that I can't rejoice with those who rejoice. I put my best face forward in front of them and try to be supportive and encouraging. It is good news and I am glad it worked out for them. I still sob, it doesn't matter if it's the strongest most Godly couple I know, it's the same.
I also have the same guilty love affair with Friends. I'm currently "on a break" from the show, but still miss the characters and friendship.
Post a Comment