Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Baby-Themed Evening

So, last night was interesting. Several interesting things happened...I'll try to get through them all in a timely manner.

First of all, it all started a few weeks ago in our class at church. Neil will be glad to know that not only was it a class I paid attention to (and participated in) but it was one that has had a lasting effect on me. I've been thinking about it for weeks. It's inspired me.

I started to write about the class, but I won't right now. Suffice to say it was about prayer. And apparently I'm not the only one who has a hard time figuring out this prayer thing, making it a habit. So I decided I wanted to do something I did in high school, which is keep a prayer journal. To help me physically remember each day to spend some time with Him. To talk to Him without the Sports Animal on in the car, which is usually when our conversations take place.

So we started out at Barnes and Noble to find the perfect journal. And that place always gets me inspired to read and write...I love the smell and the peacefulness. I love book stores.

Anyway, after B&N we ate dinner. And then I don't even remember how the conversation started, but John and I started talking about the nursery. Oh, wait, I do remember. It's because I saw a fabric this weekend I fell in love with for bedding. Ok...anyway...John and I have not talked about that. I don't really talk about it with ANYONE. It's like the nursery is a privilege for those bringing home a baby. And I haven't felt that privilege at all.

Plus, the thought of creating a nursery to sit empty for years is too painful. How awful would that be to pass by each day and see a babyless nursery? Anyway...we got to talking. And we realized we have NO IDEA what it will take to put together a nursery! We hadn't priced cribs, or talked colors, or discussed themes. We just have no idea (doesn't help that I'm known as "gift card girl" at baby showers because registries are too difficult to read).

So we went to Target. Just to look. We didn't really find anything we like, but we at least started the process. We looked at strollers and car seats, too. We shook our heads when we saw all the different kinds of bottles (what?! which one are we supposed to use?!). We touched the oh-so-soft blankets. We argued playfully about incorporating brown into the room. We agreed to swear off Bjorn's. John exclaimed that Eddie Bauer himself must be setting up the nursery for something to cost that much. It was...nice.

We do not have one single baby item in our house. One time when we first started trying, I bought a baby name book. But I'm pretty sure I threw it out when it was clear we wouldn't need it. But I guess talking about it never hurt. And it was nice to talk about it with John. Nothing scientific, nothing about paperwork, just all about the room our baby will sleep in.

And then we had a knock-down-drag-out about diaper bags so we got back to normal pretty quickly. Awesome.

Anyway...the night continued to get interesting. After we got home, I sat on the back porch with my computer and our homestudy packet and I wrote. I wrote and wrote and wrote and finished all but about 10 of the questions. For 2 1/2 hours I wrote. It felt good, I felt inspired, and it was easier than I thought. The hardest part was answering the questions about what kind of qualities I possess that would make me a good parent. Well, I'm not a parent so I don't know!

Anyway...a few more questions to go and then it's John's turn. We both had physicals today, so we're done with the medical forms. It went faster than I imagined.

Please pray John can get through his in a timely manner. I know writing is easy for me, but it's not his favorite thing to do. I know he'll do great (you should read what he wrote about me for our initial application...tearjerker!), but it just takes time.

So, that was my night!

4 comments:

Aubrey said...

Sounds like a fun, overwhelming, but mostly fun part of the process! You guys will pull it all together wonderfully well! If you need help coming up with reasons you would make great parents, come on over! I think I could come up with quite a long list!!! What's up with that many bottle possibilities anyway???

swatterson said...

Sounds like a great evening and a great way to kick-start your brain into writing. I'm so excited that you are so close to being done with your part. I'll pray for John to get through his just as easily. :)

Pam said...

I have complete faith that John will be just as inspired as you when it comes to the subject. I love that guy! Anyway... what fun to look at all the baby stuff and think about what things might look like. I love doing that for all the rooms in my house (if only I'd actually DO something!). Great post.

Michele said...

My list of qualities on what would make you an excellent mom:

- patience in abundance
- acceptance
- lighting fast reaction time
- caring
- strength
- love