When you decided to have kids did you:
- have a written fire evacuation plan for your home?
- have emergency lighting?
- have a thermometer to measure water temperature to ensure it does not go above 120-degrees?
- conduct regular fire drills?
- place crib bumpers in the crib?
- have unexpired syrup of Ipecec?
- have CPR training?
Did you have to answer these questions in front of a stranger in order to bring your baby home?
Did you have someone checking your license, checking your ventilation, checking your smoke alarms? All good things, but did you actually have a stranger checking them?
These are just some of the things that will be covered in our home study.
I get it...our agency is placed with a huge responsibility. The birthmothers are providing the ultimate gift. They have every right to make sure it's the right decision and the child is safe and loved.
But it doesn't hurt any less or make it any less frustrating to know that we have to jump through all these hoops. It doesn't make it any easier. I don't doubt we'll be fine (who wouldn't love us as parents, right?) but still. If everyone had to do this, very few would have babies.
We don't have the "luxury" to be clueless or unprepared. We'll scrutinize ourselves and (WORSE) someone else will scrutinize us to the last degree.
Sigh...it's been one of those days.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I'm on this side of the home study... is that the homework they gave you or you needed that by the time they showed up? It's a frustrating and long process for sure that would play on the most secure of persons (of which I do not claim to be)...
Hugs Jess! I can't imagine. Take it one day at a time.
I love this post. And as an adoptive Mom, I can say, "Yes, I did!!!" It's scarey that when I gave birth to our 2nd daughter (total surprise pregnancy after years of IF), they just let ya walk out the door of the hospital without asking anything!!!!
Best of luck to you as you wait!!!
Post a Comment