Today was his 4-month check-up where we planned to get shots. Unfortunately this well-baby check-up did not go so well. He did not get shots, because it turns out he has double ear infections AND...get this...RSV.
What?!
Ok, now Colt has had a cough for over a month now. However, it was just a dry cough and we related it to reflux because it's usually after he eats and followed by spit-up. I have never been worried about it because he doesn't act like he feels bad. It never makes him cry and he has such a good demeanor. Daycare hasn't been worried about it either.
Over the weekend we noticed the cough had developed into a chesty-cough, a little congestion. However, we spent Saturday at the park and the temperatures in OK range from 30 degrees in the morning to 75 degrees in the afternoon so I thought it might be allergies. I knew this appointment was coming up so I didn't make another appointment.
This morning he began breathing strangely, almost wheezing. But I swear to you guys, not once has he been cranky or fussy or acted even remotely sick. He is so happy and sweet.
I was SHOCKED.
Good news is, he's a very healthy boy otherwise - 18 pounds, 4 oz and 26 1/4 inches long (9th and 90th percentile in case you were wondering!). Doc kept asking if he'd been fussy or cranky and we said no. I think he believe us because Colt was smiling and talking and very active through the whole visit. The cough over the past month or so was reflux, not RSV the whole time so that made me feel better. Daycare was shocked when I called them, they hadn't noticed any fussiness that would mean ear infections or any kind of sickness other than the cough.
Since we've been home, he has been batting at his ear. I don't know if I would have noticed it without the diagnosis but now it's very prominent to me.
Because of the RSV, he can't go back to daycare until Monday so I took today and tomorrow off, John's taking Friday. He's on antibiotic (and LOVES the bubblegum medicine!), and an inhaler breathing treatment every 2 hours for the RSV. Plus we're now on a new formula in hopes we can avoid reflux medicine. So that kind of sucks since daycare provides the generic formula we'd been buying. Now we not only have the added cost of the more expensive formula, but we'll be adding at least one extra can a week if not more.
HE'S WORTH IT!! Especially to keep him off more medicine. But still...money, money, money.
So, we're just enjoying playtime and extra nap time together at home this week. Hoping he feels better soon!
9 comments:
Poor little man! And what a little trooper! He must be so settled and secure and content not to even complain about being ill. I think it's the great parents (wink!)
Poor wee soul. I do hope he feels better soon.
I just love the pictures, though. He is SO cute!
Gosh, is he cute!!! I love that little outfit!
Hope he's feeling better soon!
Poor little guy! I hope he's back to 100% soon :)
Sooo adorable! I can't believe he's 4 months already!! Hope he's on the mend.
Poor little guy! I can't believe how big he is...holy moly! Turner is 6 months and weights 18 lbs. I think we're going to have football players on our hands. Of course, Turner will be sporting Orange & Black! Enjoy your time off with your little man!
Ao Adorable!!!! Sorry to hear that he is sick:( It is no fun when your little one is sick! RSV and ear infections are no fun but at least he likes the medicine (my son has been sick this week too- ear infection and strep; and the only thing he wanted was his medicine (pink bubble gum kind)!!
Poor guy. Hope he feels better soon! Love the last picture...he looks like such a little man.
I am sad to hear that about Colt, but glad to know he will be ok soon. I know how the ear infection route goes. Madisyn is having surgery on the 25 to put in tubes and take out her adenoids. Both my girls were on outrageously expensive formula. Nutramagin. It put us in the poor house and I do believe we ate ramen noodles for about 9 months. Madisyn ended up on reflus meds for awhile. Finally took her to a chiropractor and had her "adjusted" and so cured her reflux. Hope all is well!
Post a Comment