Friday, January 23, 2009

Post Ideas

Oh, you guys! It was so fun to get comments and have lurkers come out of lurkdom! I love it! I'm working on reading about all of you guys and getting to know you like you know me!

You make me want to write more. I had no idea it would be this hard to keep up, but my brain just hasn't been in blog mode. Well, and it's also just a pain in the butt to download pictures. I'm so bad about it!

I have several things I want to blog about. Just to give you a teaser so you know there is something to look forward to at Here's to Hope!
  • "He's Adopted"--I'm finding it very hard to draw the line between pride in our journey and our experience, and not wanting to attach a qualifier to Colt as our son. I LOVE sharing our story, I am so proud of it. But at the same time, I feel strange to assert it anytime someone tells me I look great for having a 5-week-old or asks me if I had heartburn when I was pregnant because he has so much hair. I'll explore this more soon.
  • "Harder than Parenthood?"--I have a new found appreciation for my marriage, and have been thinking a lot about how hard marriage really can be. Honestly, I would argue it's harder than being a parent. It's much easier to love your children unconditionally! It's easy to love John right now when things are great...and I want to make sure that I'm always making him and our relationship a priority. More to come...
  • "What Do You Do All Day?"--Mostly for my new mom friends, but also a note about how much I admire those of you who stay at home. And ask how people who don't watch TV can do it.
  • Eventually, I'll talk about our agency, our experience as a whole, costs we've incurred, etc.
  • "Why Open Adoption"--What swayed us, why we're passionate about it, why it's not as scary as it sounds.

So, see...I do have a lot of ideas. I'm working them out in my head and also trying to find the time. Any other suggestions?

Thanks to those who continue to read!

11 comments:

Melba said...

These sound like some great ideas...I will be looking forward to reading your posts! :)

Melba

LL said...

I am also looking forward to future posts!

Emily said...

I thought about you today (and not just when I was watching E!News). On the radio, they were talking about Miss America and the Miss Oklahoma contestant's platform is open adoption! How cool!

Anonymous said...

Great ideas! About the third one...I did watch TV all day with Evie until she got old enough that she started looking at it and at that same time started being able to play and interact more. If you are watching tons of TV with Colt right now, don't feel bad because I think everyone does that when their babies are so tiny. What else are you going to do when 1. you want to hold him all the time and 2. he wants to be held all the time? :)

HappyAutisticMama said...

I wrote a post myself about that first idea, how much to share about adoption (http://ourtxadoption.blogspot.com/2009/01/our-first-bible-study-out-sharing-about.html). It was a tough call for me, and we're still working out the details. So I understand!

I also don't watch TV during the day:-) I read library books and blog instead, LOL.

Wendy said...

I'm looking forward to reading more about your experience with open adoption. We are also 'open' to an open adoption, and I love reading about other people's stories. Thanks!

Julie Jarnagin said...

It became so much harder for me to blog after I had my son. All my blogs are photos of him and rants on how little he sleeps.

Sammy said...

Hey Jessica!

We are also new adoptive parents after infertility (although we are still under going more fertility treatment). Reuben came home on the 14 November and we came alive again. God heard our cry after 6 looooong years and we are so happy and grateful.

In New Zealand there is no closed adoption, only open adoption. We are more than happy with open adoption but it has challenges. The more attached I get to Reuben, the less I want to share but thats the deal and I am sure it's just a stage.

Hop on over to my blog and "meet" me. It doesn't have tons on adoption as it's on infertility and I am not sure how to post about Reuben without causing those infertiles who read it, pain.

Anyway, congratulations on becoming parents and being in such good "shape" after birth! Reuben was 12 pounds 2 ounces so you can imagine the looks I got after telling people he was 3 weeks old and with my non-pregnancy body. I just couldn't do that to other Moms and ended up confessing. The looks of relief were so funny!

Anyway, better stop nattering, nice to meet you!

xxx

Elizabeth said...

Eww Eww. Can I make a request to have the "What do you do all day?" post done first? I need a list of excuses of why I don't have time to write yet another stack of thank you cards.

PS: This pending ice storm better not keep us from getting together again this week.

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to *hear* your thoughts - all of these sound like great topics!

Cicero said...

I'm also a lurker, and love your blog. :-D

Feel free to check me out at:
www.iwannabeamommy.wordpress.com