Monday morning, before the boys woke up I was at the airport and off for my first overnight trip. I went to Dallas and honestly I didn't have much time to even be sad because the meetings, oh the meetings, went on and on and when I finally crashed in the hotel I was so tired I was practically delirious.
I left the meeting a little early so I didn't have to wait for the late flight. I got home to see Colt and he greeted me with a HUGE smile and his new favorite thing to do: talk. He is making so many sounds now, and it's constant. For a while now we could tell he was trying hard to be able to laugh and talk and literally overnight (while I was away) he learned to do it. This morning on the way to school he was laughing and talking happily to something and it was better than my favorite morning radio show!
--------------------
I have found myself thinking a lot about N lately. Last time our caseworker, T, talked to her she wasn't doing very well and asked T to only call her once a month. T represented a very painful time, and she wanted to be able to move on. She is hurting, I know. I wish there was more I could do.
I especially thought about her after reading Rebekah's post about birthmothers who have not been part of an open adoption and that really hate the whole idea. I actually discovered the blogs of many people who felt that way several months ago. I remember first reading their entries and feeling stung, defensive, and guilty. But then I have to remember that each blog is someone's story. That is their story and their life and they have every right to be angry for how their children became someone else's. I've been thinking a lot about them and praying for them and really praying that somehow I can bring good to this experience.
I know, I really do, that placing your child for adoption (or someone doing it for you) is painful and life-altering. I, too, suffered a great loss as well - infertility can't be discounted. It is a loss, and while I didn't physically give birth or have that experience, I felt robbed. But out of this loss came great hope. I know I'll never be able to make it better or easier for N, that she will always wonder "what if", she will always hurt in ways I'll never be able to imagine...all I can do is offer hope that she has not lost her child. That we will always be here, always be ready to share our experience. She gave us the greatest gift we could ever receive, she gave us her trust. She chose us because she believed in us. The thought of one day not honoring that, not being there when she's ready is foreign to me. I didn't always believe this way until I met her...I could never deny her the peace that comes with just knowing. Knowing he's ok, knowing that he knows her, knowing that we love her, knowing that HE loves her.
Thank God we live in today's world. Where adoption is celebrated. Where OPEN adoption is accepted and not scary. Where two people who desperately want a family can have their greatest desires fulfilled because of the generosity of another. I can't imagine how painful it would be to keep adoption a secret from Colt. For me, for him, for N.
I can't be angry at the way those women feel or the views they express. That is their experience. They sacrificed, whether by choice or not, and it should never be forgotten. I can only hope that one day there is peace or that one day they will read something or see something or experience someone else's story and know that it can be ok. I can only pray for peace for them and the children they lost. I know the pain they feel will probably be life-long and it's unrealistic to think that they will ever feel differently. But I can always hope.
Sorry so serious, it just really hit me. Being a parent is scary and new and different every day. Every day I feel unsure about my next steps, but every day I am filled with joy and love to see this growing boy wake up and start his day with us. I am so overcome with gratitude that God blessed us in this manner; that N trusts us in this manner. Sometimes, the joy is almost more than I can bear.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
This post really hit home for me. Our bm only asked for two update letters for us and nothing more. I just wrote our last letter and left the door open for her to ask for more when/if she is ever up for it. I think it would be better for all of us in the long run if she were to want future contact but we certainly can't force her into it. I think the fact that you think of N so much is one of the reasons she selected you.
This is a forever learning process isn't it? I love that. I love that my world view has been expanded and that I've learned to look at people through the eyes of Jesus. Sure, they might make me angry...or hurt...but I've learned to bite my tongue and dish out grace. It's a great way to live. I'm thankful for the lessons, no matter how difficult.
I often wonder about Rebekah and what life after baby will be like....for both of us.
I LOVE this post. I think too often we get angry and defensive when someone feels the opposite of ourselves.
IF taught me that you have no idea how someone else feels unless you have been there. However, blogging has taught me that you have no idea how someone else feels unless you have been THEM, becuase everyone experiences things differently and handles things differently. Nobody has the right to tell you that is right or wrong.
To be honest, open adoption is still pretty scary to me. I believe however, that it is difficult to put yourself out there and be open to any "potential" birth mother. When you actually meet the birth mother of your child, that is when it changes. Your words provide me with additional faith that that will happen for us, too!
Open adoption IS scary. It can't be anything but.
We have a very open adoption with a lot of contact. This is something we really wanted and continue to champion and embrace but it's tough at times (most times actually).
It got harder as I bonded more and more with Reuben and a part of me does not want to share and be open. I don't want to be told for the 100th time how much he looks like so and so or does this just like so and so. I don't have that link with him, that biological link and it hurts.
I wouldn't change the way our adoption is. The birthmum is like my little sister and I love her. I fact I think she loves me more than Reuben(!) She's my forever sister.
I think room has to made to allow our feelings to change and stretch. The way we feel now will not be the way we feel in 6 months time and then a year after that.
The same for the birth familes as they adjust to life without reuben. No matter how open this is, he is a part of our family now and that is so tough for them.
But they did choose and in NZ there is a lot of protection around giving the biorth familes space to make the decision (up to, including and after birth) so that is good.
Still, it's hard and to be real continues to be hard. Having said that I would do it all again and more to be Reuben's mommy. He is the apple of my eye and I adore my little son!
I too love this post and have been thinking a lot about this since reading Rebekah's post the other day. I think you have a lot of insight here and I appreciate your viewpoint. I agree that their blogs are their stories, and their way of expressing the pain they've been through. I guess I just wish they didn't lash out at everyone who is lumped into one category in their minds. It makes me sad more than anything...
Anyway, thanks for posting this, it was a good thing to read!
Melba
Thanks for putting this so sensitively. I, too, have been thinking about and praying for the birth family of our son since reading Rebekah's post. While we don't have an open adoption, by their choice, we still care about them and want our son to care about them in his own way. Anyway, thanks for sharing. Adoption can be so difficult sometimes for all concerned.
Great post.
I know you've probably read my posts about open/semi/closed adoption and I hope that I never hurt your feelings.
As you probably know, we started off wanting a semi-closed or closed adoption. Then we got matched and over the course of several months, we did grow to know and love our birth mother. A more open relationship became a possibility. More and more so...in my mind...I could understand WHY open adoption is important and WHY/HOW it does work...But then our BM made some incredibly bad decisions.
Sometimes I wish I could blog about these things because I feel like other adoptive couples could benefit from our story, but these things are just too private. Things our closest and most immediate family and friends don't know. But I've learned that in some cases, a relationship with the birth family is almost impossible. I will feel love and respect and gratitude for L until the day that I die...and I have left the lines of communication more open than we originally planned (she has my cell and we kept the 1800 # open), but I don't believe I will ever hear from her again.
My goodness, I can't shut up.
I just want to say that the main reason I even considered an open adoption was because of the blogs I read, one of which was yours.
I am one of those Birth Mothers who's story can be pretty depressing. I am happy that more people are getting education and more open to open adoptions.
Post a Comment