Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Stuck

I'm sort of stuck. I'm stuck with what to say, with the direction of this blog, the direction of my thoughts.

4 long years ago I started our family blog Anderson Happenings, which quickly turned into MY blog with John as a supporting player. It was mostly read by some family, a few friends, but never very many comments and that was fine. It was a nice outlet for me.

When we started TTC (trying to conceive), we didn't tell anyone for over a year, so I didn't spend much time talking about it on that blog. In fact, when I did finally open up about it, we were at the first of 2 RE's we would see and after several Clomid cycles which caused me to be slightly crazy. So this little blog of nothingness suddenly became very heavy and very personal and a little uncomfortable for those in my every day life (namely, men!).

I got the idea that I should start a specific blog for infertility struggles. There I could talk about periods and needles and ovulation and sperm counts and all the uncomfortable, slightly embarrassing things that a regular ol' blog shouldn't cover. I'd read tons of IF blogs, been so inspired by them I thought it would not only do ME some good, but maybe do some good for others.

What an awesome, amazing decision that was. I have met and been connected to tons of people I never would have come across otherwise. My prayer life has been strengthened because of all the blogfriends I pray for on a regular basis. When times were really dark, this community has lifted me up and provided encouragement and strength. Yes, I have a similar real-life community with my church and good friends...but few that understood the inner depths and turmoil that IF can bring.

And while I celebrated blogland's pregnancies and adoption placements, I'll be honest--I was so very jealous and hurt and scared that I would be the last IF blog left. It's almost embarrassing when I think about it because while the 3 years we were TTC seemed incredibly long and painful to me, it's NOTHING compared to what others have been through. Our adoption match was unusually quick. I am so, so thankful for that. But I think that time is still very real to me, I'm very aware of how much it hurts, I won't nor do I want to ever forget that pain.

So, I'm stuck. I want to continue to blog, but I can't do that without bringing up Colt. We still have many things left before we are an official "forever family". Court dates, post-placement visits, contact with N, and the struggle between being so proud of our story yet not wanting Colt to feel like a second choice to biological children all still weigh on my mind and I have yet to face. I still wonder about certain IF things:
- Crazy cycles
- Should I be using birth control?
- What if I got pregnant? Is it wrong to never want to be pregnant?
- What if I never, ever get pregnant? Will I really be ok?
- When will we be ready to adopt again? Can I really ask for anything more than this perfect, precious gift we've been given?
- Will we EVER pay off the IF treatments and adoption expenses we've racked up?!

But I know how painful it is to watch an IF blog transition into Mommy Blog. I don't want to disrespect anyone still waiting, I don't want to flaunt my good fortune, but I still want to inspire hope. That's the only thing that got me through all this...the hope you all provided. So...do I continue writing on here, or say so long for now and ask you guys to follow me on my everyday blog (which is SEVERELY lacking in material, since the few thoughts I actually write out end up here!)? Maybe pick this up if and when we decide to adopt again.

I don't know...I'm stuck.

16 comments:

Bri said...

Any time there a mom becomes a mom (through pregnancy or adoption), it reminds me that I am not yet a mom. BUT there is something immensely special about people getting to be a mom that truly want it more than anything like I do and that have gone through hell and high water to get there.

For me, it doesn't matter where I follow along with your story, but rest assured I will follow. This blog is about you and that definately includes colt, so you shouldn't shy away from talking about him (he's part of the reason I am here!!!) I think if you decide to move, it should be for you (not because you are trying to spare anyone else's feelings).

RB said...

BB (Bri) said everything I was thinking. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm right there with you. I don't want to disrespect anyone... yet at the same time this is my life now and it's hard for me to apologize for it. And I know that if and when we decide to have baby #2 I'll crave the support I got when we were trying for B. I think the people still in the throes of IF get that you're a mom now and if they want to, they'll move on, but I think you provide a HUGE amount of hope for them... for all of us! And if there's still lingering thoughts and questions you want to work through then this is one option for an outlet for those. It's your call though, just know that I would miss you. :) And I would miss my weekly dose of Colt as well.

Ashley said...

I've thought a lot about this recently too. It was extremely hard to see all my IF friends get pregs and my adoption friends get placements. Regardless, I still felt really happy for them. I'm pretty guilty of feeling WAY more happy for people that struggled with IF and/or adopted. Sick and weird, probably. Keep posting about your little boy. He's your world. I'm sure all of us newbie moms will have more to us some day?! ;) Just kidding, of course.

Jessica said...

It's a hard decision to make, however, this is your blog. Write about what you want, love, hate, etc. I TOTALLY get your pregnancy after IF and adoption feelings. I made peace with never becoming preggos and was really looking forward to another adoption. So much so, that when we found out we were pregnant, I had a difficult time with it. Can't explain it and I felt horrible 'cause I know so many out there would kill for that. Fortunately, those feelings passed and I am SOOO thankful for my precious Olivia. There is no wrong, or right way to feel. Just your way! Hang in there! You are probably still adjusting and contrary to what some will tell you, there is a hormonal adjustment stage you go through, even after adopting.

BTW, I don't think we will ever pay off our adoption expenses either. At least with Olivia, all we had was a co-pay. Much more doable!!!

Hugs and kisses!!!

Natalie said...

Jess, I think it's your choice, but if I may give my 5c worth...

It is wonderful to have gone full circle with you - shared in all your experiences, your joy, your sadness, your everything...

Remember one day Colt will read this and see it as HIS story...

About the preg - DH and I were discussing it this weekend. As much as I love and adore Hannah and I would never change our path to get her, part of me wonders what it feels like to be pregnant. I suppose it's the woman in me...

We are stopping BC in April and let God decide what's best for us...

Pray about it my friend and you will be lead in the right direction. I will also keep you in our prayers...

If you do decide to move blogs, please leave your addy - I love watching Colt grow!

Thinking of you and big hugs
xxx

MtnGirl said...

I love reading your blog and hearing about Colt and your life. As others have said, I think Moms who have fought to become parents are more meaningful than those who can pop a baby out left and right. I don't mean that disrespectful to fertile moms either. BUT, as someone who has PCOS and at 45 3/4 y/o with not much chance of birthing a baby much less, adopting one, then I guess I live vicariously through other IF's who have become parents. So please keep blogging!

HappyAutisticMama said...

I love reading your blog about Colt! I hope that most if not all of the new moms that have adopted kids about my son's age are still blogging during the rest of the parenthood journey. We can see which issues are adoption-related and which are just kid-related. We'll know how it feels to deal with ignorant comments and compare notes on how to handle the infamous family tree class assignment. Anyway, I most of all love your positive attitude. I, too, am dealing with a lot of birth parent drama and I always feel a little more peaceful about it when I see you handling it with grace.

Anonymous said...

Everyone else seems to have offered up good advice. I think you should stay and blog about whatever is on your mind - TTC, Colt, being a mom, adoptiong, etc. I understand your dilemma but if you don't blog about being a mom or Colt, well, what will your blog really become?

Melba said...

Well...I completely 10th what BB said, if that's even possible!

I get this though - I understand why you are faced with a dilemma. Even though we're not matched yet, I already think about what I will do with my blog once motherhood comes along. Maybe I'll remove it and create a whole different one, or maybe I'll just continue.

I appreciate your sensitivity in thinking about this, and in considering what your readers may be feeling. Again, I have to agree with BB when I say that I think the decisions you make should be based on your own needs/desires, not necessarily those of others.

Though it is sometimes painful, I do so love reading about the families that I have been fortunate enough to "know" from the very beginning. There is power in your experiences, and when you share that with others, good things can happen. I love to read about Colt because I know what you went through to get him...I was "there," so to speak.

I'm rambling, and I'm not sure this makes a lot of sense, but I hope you get what I'm trying to say...

Melba

aimee said...

Keep it up Jess... You will continue to encourage and inspire others no matter where your journey takes you. Most importantly you will provide HOPE. Hope for all those out there traveling the same path of IF - Hope that family IS possible, and that healing does come.
love you!

hope548 said...

I have had the exact same thoughts. I want my blog to stay true to the reason it was started and not just to be a "mom blog." Unfortunately that has meant I don't have as much to write about sometimes. I do intend to stay exactly where I am and write about infertility, adoption, and sometimes our boy as things come up. I enjoy following your blog, so I'll follow wherever you end up.

aimee said...

Hey jess... check out my newest post on my blog - yes I'm attempting to blog now :) - and let me know what you think!

Nancy said...

Bri said it for me. It was hard to see other moms adopt at first, but then I just got interested in their stories. I enjoy following them as their babies get older, and it gives me hope. It's up to you where you want to blog, but I will continue to follow your story.

Anonymous said...

I think your blog definitely inspires hope. As someone still waiting to become a Mom, I love reading stories like yours. Stories that show it WILL be okay, and that the wait is well worth it. :-D

Anonymous said...

I just found your blog and saw all the cute photos of Colt. What a beautiful little boy. I think it is very kind of you to be so thoughtful regarding the content of your blog. I didn't get involved with the ALI community until I started my non profit Parenthood for Me.org (please visit our website). I now have my blog about our adoption funnyfinn.blogspot.com. I have a lot of the same IF concerns that you do even though I have adopted. I am extremely thrilled with our life as adoptive parents.My son is a gem but it doesn't take away all the hurt of not becoming pregnant.
I look forward to reading your blog.