One of the things that happens every Sunday during Late Service is that one of our preachers, Kent, has "Children's Story Time". All the kids in the congregation run to the front of the auditorium and sit on the stage to sing kids Bible songs and hear a short story. And whenever there is a new baby, Kent incorporates the birth into this special time. Not sure what it's called exactly (no formal name) but I call it "baby dedication". The parents bring the baby up front, Kent holds him/her and shows him off to all the kids. He talks about the baby and asks the kids to be good examples to him/her as they grow up, and to help teach them about God.
He then says a special prayer for the new family.
I've watched so many families have this special time, and it's one of those things that often made infertility so much more painful. Along with pregnancy announcements, showers, Mother's Day, etc. But it was because I so longed to be able to stand up there and have our congregation shower blessings and prayers for us. I longed to introduce MY child to the other children. To see MY child's picture on the screen. To be a part of it all.
We knew we wanted to do this, but because of the long wait with the birth father's termination hearing we wanted to hold off until things were more "finalized". So the first Sunday in March was Colt's day. I could hardly hold back the tears. Kent told the kids about Colt, he named off ALL our family members that were there (which was pretty much everybody), and it was just wonderful.
I appreciated it especially because he didn't specifically say that Colt was adopted. Most of the congregation knows, and Kent has a special tie because his son is adopted, too. But I just appreciated being honored as a family...no qualifiers. I know that sounds strange, because I so love our story and honor his birthmother. But it was wonderful to just feel like a new mom. No qualifiers. He did mention in his prayer that it felt extra special that day because of the unique way our family was brought together. And I loved it.
It was such a wonderful moment. Our entire family (even Aunt Julia and her friend came!), our friends who loved and supported us for so long were watching. It was like the final piece to coming together as a family. I'm so thankful that we had this experience and that everyone was there. I couldn't say much or I would break down and cry.
Of course I didn't think to have anyone come and take pictures. Luckily a few people brought cameras and took pictures from our spot in the balcony. They didn't turn out very well, but at least it's something. I sent the picture of Colt on his first day home, in his "I was worth the wait" onesie for the screens. I think it was fitting.
5 comments:
Aww, what a wonderful day!! He most definitely was worth the wait!!
B-man's baby dedication is May 3rd, and I'm so excited!
That sounds like it was wonderful! I think that's particularly special that Kent didn't focus on Colt being adopted. It is a fact, but it doesn't have to define every single moment. I totally get what you're saying :) What a special time :)
I was so happy to be there for that day. It was very moving. I also thought what a wonderful choice of words Kent used in introducing Colt as well as in the prayer said. It was so great to see all three of you up there.
Such a sweet moment for your new family...congratulations!
Congratulations!!! What a special and amazing God time! It sounds as wonderful as ours, no wonder you could relate so well!
Colt is so incredibly blessed to have you as parents xxx
Post a Comment