Friday, August 8, 2008

She didn't even look in the closet!

I'm so bad, I know! I meant to post after the meeting, but I developed a splitting headache in the middle of it, then I went to Blogger Bash and by the time I got home...well, the computer remained unopened.

The visit went well. No big deal, at all. I know everyone told me that but I still had to experience it for myself!

I had planned to leave work early enough to get home and finish up a few things, take a moment to breathe and relax and graciously open the door and welcome her into our inviting home. Yeah, right. I left work later than I intended. Then, I was scrambling to do things like make the bed and put away laundry and sweep because John was running late as well and didn't sweep the night before! Then I realized I forgot to print off the last piece of our profile book so I had to go to Kinko's because the caseworker was supposed to take the book with her.

As I was preparing to walk out the door for Kinko's, she called. She wondered if she could come over a little earlier. So I leave John with a broom and run to Kinko's. Of course, the ONE time I end up at Kinko's the computer malfunctions. Well, to be fair I sat down at the one and only Mac station they have and it froze. So while I'm being charged 30-cents a minute to work on a computer I know nothing about while it freezes and STILL ISN'T PRINTING, I run to the front for help. Kinko's girl comes over and just couldn't figure out what was wrong. So after a good 5 minutes (at 30-cents a minute) she shuts down the computer and my debit card still won't come out of the machine.

FINALLY she removes my card and I run to a trusty PC work station. I quickly print off my letter and then head out to find someone to reimburse me my $2 for the time spent not working on the frozen Mac. No one was available so I just left, which goes against everything in my body to do. Normally I will wait until I get my dang $2 back.

So by the time I get home, sweaty and frazzled, the caseworker is already at the house. So I walk in, and she smiles and says "you look like you've had a day". Yep...I have. At this point, ask me anything and I'll be fine!

Most of the 2 1/2 hours she was there were spent on the couch asking us questions. Well, actually, most of the time was spent with John asking her questions! But it was all good and she enjoyed clarifying and explaining things to us. For those interested, she asked about our marriage, how we've dealt with infertility, how our friends and family reacted to the news we would adopt, what kind of relationship we envisioned with the birthfamily, how we would tell our child they are adopted, etc.

She checked the house (we passed, had everything) and then she looked through our profile book. She said she could feel us jumping off the page and felt it was a really good representation of who we are so that made me feel better.

She should be done with our homestudy report a week from Monday, it will be sent to the executive director for approval and as long as we are approved we will be up on the website and our profile activated. So, a couple more weeks before you can read all about us and people will start looking at us!

At the end we also asked a little about birthfamilies. Remember last week she let us know that after 4 births in July, they did not have any birthfamilies they were working with? Well, she told us to be careful what you pray for because in the last week and a half they have 2 women who are actively looking at profiles and leads on 3 others! I don't know that we'll be presented to any of them, but I love that things can change so quickly and drastically.

All of this to say...this could be a very long wait. It could be a long, hard, up-and-down road. So, while we're excited the paperwork process has come to an end, we still need patience and prayers while we wait.

PLEASE pray for:
--Brave birthfamilies to seek our agency as a part of their birth plan
--Approval of our homestudy!
--Patience and strength while we wait for our baby to find us
--And, what the heck, pray for us to be chosen quickly. You never know...never hurts to ask!

5 comments:

Nancy said...

I'm so happy your home visit went well, and it's wonderful to hear that they have some active birth families looking through the adoptive parent profiles. That is very good news.

Emily said...

Why do you always have to come down on Macs?

Kidding.

Love you.

Rebekah said...

I hate those frazzled-everything-goes-wrong days! And on your home visit day, of all times! I know the relief that comes with being done! But I am HIGHLY jealous that your report will be written so quickly. Our case worker told us it would take her 3-4 weeks to write ours up! Hopefully, we're both paper-pregnant by September! :)

Becky said...

You never know about the wait period! Could go very quickly!?! Just have to be prepared either way! You're almost there!

Lori said...

Thank you for an idea of how a home visit goes, we haven't had ours yet. We are filling out the questionnaire for it right now.