Several people alerted me to a special report that KFOR ran tonight, about a couple that prayed to God to help their fertility woes. They began following "The Maker's Diet" which taught them to eat only what God designed them to eat. They were pregnant within 2 months of starting the diet. I did watch it with much interest because, believe me, diet is not something I've ignored in this whole process (despite my added weight these days).
No, I'm not an expert. I haven't read any books on it, but I have read through the highlights on several versions and looked into it. Basically, many of the diets say the same thing: low in animal fat, more in fresh produce, lean protein, no trans fats, organic everything, etc. Basically, it's a healthy diet any nutritionist would recommend to those trying to get pregnant or avoiding pregnancy, men or women, fat or skinny, child or adult.
Why have I chosen not to get on a fertility diet? I don't have a reasonable, scientific excuse here, guys. Sorry. It's the same reason I still drink caffiene, the same reason we bought a new house before seeing a fertility specialist, the same reason I continue to work long hours and travel a lot, the same reason I continue taking medication to treat arthritis.
Because I cannot change everything about my present for a future that is uncertain.
If I had changed all of my habits and everything that had some semblance of irresponsibility 25 months ago, I would be miserable. Maybe with child, but maybe not and miserable nonetheless. If I would have given up all medications that treat the progression of arthritis or the medicines that help with pain and inflamation (all of which are Category B medicines, in case you were concerned)....well, I probably wouldn't be able to get around very well.
If I gave up the traveling and long hours at work, I wouldn't be making the money I'm making or meeting the people I'm meeting. If I gave up caffiene then I wouldn't have much of a coffeehouse social life and probably wouldn't stay awake through church on Sundays!
All this, and I might STILL be without a pregnancy. Do I drink alcohol? Rarely. Do I do drugs? Never. Do I smoke? Never. Do I take prenatal vitamins, do I avoid caffiene during those crucial weeks following ovulation? Yes. I do things the right way, the best way I know how. I don't know if changing some of those other things in my life would guarantee me a pregnancy, but I also know I have to live for right now. I have to live this life I'm in right now for my husband, my friends, my family, my work....in hopes that all these things I'm cultivating will help my future.
I'm particularly passionate about our house. We had been trying for 11 months when we put our old house up for sale. Did we think there might be issues, that we would need to see a fertility specialist? Absolutely. I had a feeling for a long time that it would get this far. But what if we hadn't sold our house? What if we hadn't moved into this house and just saved our money for fertility treatments (that at the time we didn't know we would have)?
Who knows....but we made a decision to live in this moment, to make the best decision for US. And we found the perfect house that I fully intend on outgrowing in the next few years. One way or another.
I don't know how to explain it and I'm rambling. But basically, I'm sure the diet is great for others. I thought it ironic that our doctor was the one interviewed during the story, stating that the likelihood of diet affecting fertility on average-weight patients is very slim. But I decided a while back that it's just not for me. I could stand to lose a few pounds, but if I do it will be for my jeans. Not because I hold any stock in it that it will put a baby where no baby has been.
And that's my rant. But thanks to everyone for the heads up! I do find all these stories very interesting so keep them coming!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
The first time I heard about the Maker's Diet was from a lady who worked here where I work. Her husband was on it, and he spent way too much time at the health food store buying things such as bread she described as tasting like sawdust. No, thanks!
Hey, I wouldn't mind going with the Maker's Diet if I got to eat what that lady did. I'm pretty sure God did have a hand in making those WW ice cream cones I spotted in her fridge. Those things are gooood!
Post a Comment