Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Honest Scrap

Many moons ago I was nominated by Alison for an Honest Scrap Award. Like Alison, I don't know what it means but YAY! Someone likes me! So I decided to participate because, well, why not? She nominated me! Alison is ready for Baby B to come, and I'm so excited that it will happen literally any day. I found her blog a long time ago and since then, we've become great online friends through Facebook and Twitter and, of course, blogging. One of these days we're actually going to meet...maybe for an OU vs. Nebraska football game because she is as big a fan of Big 12 football as I am!

The rules for Honest Scrap are:
1) Choose a minimum of 7 blogs that you find brilliant in content or design.
2) Show the 7 winners names and links on your blog, and leave a comment informing them that they were prized with “Honest Scrap.”
3) List at least 10 honest things about yourself

7 Blogs I love (that haven't done this meme yet):

1. Emily - Holla!
2. Brooke - Because she's one of my longest IRL friends and claims she's back to blogging! And because she sends me really nice Facebook messages.
3. Liz - Because she's one of the funniest people in the world and may very well be Colt's mother-in-law one day.
4. Holly - Because she'll have TONS of time to do this with 2-week-old Charlotte in tow from her condo on the beach (I know she'd rather be back home, thought)!
5. Sky Baby, Earth Boy - Because for some reason I can't comment on her site and she wrote this post the other day about how the economy and mortgage crisis affected her family and it's stayed with me since I read it. So honest, open, and impactful. Hopefully she still reads this blog and will see that I tried to comment!
6. Lori - Because I'm always hoping for her.
7. KLTTX - Because she always comments, is my friend on Facebook, and has some really cute kids!
8. Hope548 - Because she always says it just like I'm thinking it, just like Bri, who was nominated several times!

Wow...I could nominate like a million more. Hopefully you guys have noticed that I've updated my links list. I think I've included everyone who has commented! I have everyone on my Bloglines and I read your stories every day. I'm still working on commenting, but I'm getting there! If I left you off, just comment so I can follow you and get you linked as well.

If you're on Facebook, friend me!

Thank you to everyone for tuning into my boring life, giving encouragement, commiserating with me, celebrating with me, and loving our little boy.


-------------------------
10 Honest Things:

1. I have decided to give up one of my most beloved obsessions for Lent. I'm not Catholic, but it just makes good sense to spend that time thinking about all my blessings, praying for others, and thanking God for this crazy roller coaster called my life. I'm not sure I'm ready to reveal what I'm giving up, for fear I won't stick with it. But it is a pretty big deal for me. Some people know already, so I hope it's just encouragement and not pointing fingers if I fail. And no, it's not television. Who gives up TV during "Lost" season?!

2. I attend a church of Christ in Oklahoma. I was raised in a church of Christ and I really feel good about the things we believe and feel like I made the right decision to continue attending one as I grew up. That being said, it can be kind of boring and I often wish I was Catholic or something. I like the idea of having rituals and certain prayers and christenings and first communions and Christmas Eve mass, etc. I don't know, it's not that I want to change churches or anything, sometimes I just wish we at the CofC made bigger deals out of certain occasions, or had some kinds of rituals. It's just interesting to me, I guess. Maybe that's why I like Lent...I can participate without actually being Catholic.

3. I was in show choir in high school, which is a constant source of good memories and of embarrassment for me. I made the mistake of telling my husband that my sophomore year we were an all girls show choir (not enough boys wanted to participate...why, I don't know) and we had one song where we danced with life-sized dolls. They were Dracula stuffed dolls, and we pulled their capes off. They strapped to our feet and we danced with them to "Steppin' Out With My Baby". True story. I'm being honest. And plus, practically all of Oklahoma knows since one of the girls that was in show choir with me is a radio DJ and has talked about it on-air with me.

4. I'm in PR. Sometimes it drives me crazy and I just want to quit. But at the end of the day, I like my job and I love my company. And I really love my client right now because they are one of the only companies that are actually flourishing in this economy. Not that the job is ever really secure, but I am blessed to work on the account that I do.

5. I hate to cook. Hate it. It seems like such a waste of time to me. Plus my husband is a VERY picky eater. I am, too. But he's REALLY picky. Despite all that, I have every kind of cooking contraption you would need to make a good meal: quesadilla maker, pizza pan, strawberry corer, egg slicer, and countless beautiful serving dish. At this point, we eat off paper plates and plastic utensils. Because the only thing I hate as much as cooking is cleaning up after cooking.

6. My favorite laptop bag was actually kind of stolen. Well, not really. I bought it at my favorite red-and-white themed discount mega-store. It was in a pile of many other things I bought and I didn't realize until I got out of the store and in the car that they didn't ring the bag up with everything else. It was $29.99 and every day that I carry it, I still feel kind of guilty that I didn't go back and pay for it.

7. My first love will always be Mark-Paul Gosselaar. I would probably even put him over Brad Pitt. Because "Zack Morris" and I have spent a lot of time together, and I feel like he could really "get" me.

8. I used to be able to quote the entire movie of "Clueless". To this day, when I hear the first note of the opening theme song I can tell what movie it is. And I can quote the opening monologue..."so you're probably thinking, is this like a Noxema commercial or what?".

9. My mom and I have 54 friends in common on Facebook. What does that say about us?

10. John and I broke up several times before finally getting together. And I'm really glad it happened like that. We got together for the final time after he IM'd me (oh, how I miss AOL IM!) and I knew from the second he popped up that I was in love with him. I can still remember most of the details from that night as we watched the Diamondbacks win the World Series while talking on the phone. It didn't take long to get engaged, because we both said "if we're going to do this AGAIN, then this is it. We're in it for the long haul." And we were. Still are. Thank the Lord in heaven he IM'd me that night and gave me yet another chance. He's always been smarter than me about the future!

5 comments:

LL said...

I am so glad that you didn't give up Lost for lent! ;) I wouldn't be able to do it either.

Anonymous said...

Hooray! I love these. :)

I feel like you're my long-lost twin... you know, with red hair and somehow an OU fan... ;o)

2) Is the church of Christ the same as the United Church of Christ? I went to a UCC college. Though I was raised Lutheran and j and I currently attend a non-denominational Christian church.

3) Um, hello, I was also in show choir, and we didn't have any guys in choir at all, so it was all-girls for all of my 4 years. Here's where I win: I went to show choir CAMP one summer. NERD-Y. :)

5) j is super, super, super picky. I finally gave up catering to him and he either deals with what we have or he doesn't, but I was missing too much good food. He's come a long ways though.

7) MPG was always my favorite too - every one of my friends thought Mario Lopez was better, but I wholeheartedly disagreed.

10) j and I didn't break up but we did get engaged 6 months after we started dating. We figured what was the point of waiting if we knew. The wedding was a whole year later though...

Diana said...

Wow! Was I surprised to see my blog on here! Of course I still follow your blog, I love to hear all the updates- I usually get called away by one little on or another before I can ever comment. Plus I can get a little shy with comments, one of my New Year's resolutions to get over.

Thanks for mentioning you couldn't comment on my blog, I checked the settings and I had some weird setting on there but it should be fixed now.
Also, thanks for nominating me, I look forward to doing this later today :)
Diana

Elizabeth said...

1 and 2: 2 out of the 10 mentioned you becoming Catholic. Yes!! I'm slowly winning you over. hehe Catholicism is fun. Just asked the people who partied with the priest at our wedding.

9: I'm one of the 54. Your mom was one of the first people to friend request me.

Jenny said...

I was in the all girls show choir with you... and I must say we were really big dorks! I guess it is just part of growing up.