It's kind of a strange place to be right now in this whole process. No more paperwork (yay!), no more nails to bite over approvals, no more scrapbooks to make, no more seminars to attend (yay, yay, yay!).
Several months ago when we quit the fertility treatments, there was a lot of peace and excitement. A whole new process to go through, but so much to prepare for. Now we're only 2 weeks into the "waiting" period and there's nothing to do!
I'm not restless. Yet. Talk to me in 6 months if we haven't been matched and we'll see how restless I feel. But right now...I'm not restless. I'm so thankful we began this phase when we did. I'm incredibly busy at work, lots of travel. So I don't even have time to think about everything.
It will help pass 3 months, for sure. Then it will be Christmas and all I'll have time to think about is snowflakes and Christmas carols and gifts and food and decorations. By the time that's over, it will be a New Year with resolutions and a feeling of newness.
So...I should stay pretty busy and focused on our life right now until at least January 2nd. We'll see how I feel after that!
I'm still having a hard time feeling ready to commit to purchases. We have a few things, but mostly things friends have loaned us or family has bought for us. We have yet to purchase one single thing. We eve passed on a 3-pack of adorable OU Sooner onesies the other day. If anyone has any suggestions on how to feel ready to purchase things like regular expectant parents...well, I'd love the insight.
Of course...if there is a baby out there who decides to come before January 2nd, I imagine we will find space to fit it in!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
I don't know if this suggestion will work for you, but it worked for me. When we finished our home study, I just automatically assumed that it would take us a year to get matched, since that is the average wait time for domestic adoption, and I really didn't think about it much until Christmas. At that point, being with family reminded me of how much we want a baby and I had a little angst attack. After Christmas was over it was out of my mind again and I was shocked to get the call in March. It was a great surprise instead of a relief from waiting. As for buying things, it's not wrong to wait. It'll be a lot more fun to shop after you've been matched because you won't feel conflicted about it.
OU Sooner onesies?!?! My husband is a Texas Longhorn and it's all I can do to keep him from painting the nursery burnt orange. ;-)
Trash-talking aside, I completely understand what you're going through. It's really hard to know how to react to this phase of the process because there's no way of knowing how long it will last.
I'm right there with you too. It's been very weird to go from all the doing and planning and nail biting to...nothing! I'm not sure there's anything TO do though!
We actually went and registered today (blog entry forthcoming) and it was fun, but also a little weird. I wish I had better advice to give...waiting's for the birds!!
We made a registry at BRU before we even started the process. But we were also expecting a possible placement at the time and didn't want to drive 2 hours with a newborn to register. We've bought the car seat, my parents bought our crib and we've been given so much stuff that we decided to do the nursery.
Some times I look in the room and get sad, but most of the time I don't even register that it's there. It's all about personal preference. Do it when it feels right.
Just go with whatever you feel comfortable with. I am a planner and decorator by nature, so I would be really sad to miss out on that part of the process and have to throw it together at the last minute. We have been certified for two months and we hadn't done anything until about a week ago. Now, I'm taking it slow. I just started my registry online so I could keep track of all the things I was researching and wanting to buy. I also ordered a crib and am waiting for it to come in... I have a feeling once it is here, it's on! Hehe. I guess I am also a shopper by nature, too!
I agree with Melba, waiting is for the birds! We've only been waiting for two weeks and it's all I can think about. I wake up in the morning and think, "will today be the day?" I try not to bore everyone around me with my baby thoughts, but inside it's ALL I think about. I don't know how to turn it off. For me, getting a nursery ready, registering, and picking out names has been therapeutic. It makes me feel like I have something to do and that it's getting me closer to our baby (even though I know that's silly!). I have spent so many hours in our nursery - painting, setting up furniture, quilting the bedding, and praying...
I can't imagine just getting the call one day and having nothing. That would freak me out! We haven't bought anything more than the furniture for the baby's room, but it makes me feel a little more at ease!
Post a Comment