Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Profile Book Dilemma

Well, I met the caseworker face-to-face today. She gave me all the paperwork we can work on now, and then let me browse through several profile books of people currently trying to adopt with the agency. They were all so different! It made me feel good to see that the book really is a reflection of who we are, and it doesn't have to be fancy or have perfect pictures.

One of the books we looked at was a digital book, like the ones you can find at Blurb. I love that look, but I worry that maybe it's too much. And if we ever decide to adopt again, we'd have to create an entirely new book instead of adding on. Plus, I'd need to find someone with a scanner that would let me upload old film photos that aren't digital.

And then, I wonder, would it be too much? Would it lose a personal touch by doing that? Everything typed and laid out with a professional look--I wonder if it loses some of that handmade, from-the-heart, personal feeling. I mean, I know digital books are hard work and require a lot of time and effort....but, still.

Any advice out there? Digital vs. scrapbook-like? What's the verdict?

8 comments:

Elizabeth said...

First of all, you know you are always more than welcome to use our scanner. It will only cost you two cupcakes. Chocolate ones.

Secondly, I think the type of book depends on what kind of kid you want. If you want a high class super model chic-baby, I'd go with the digital. If you want one of those play in the dirt and stick Cheetos in your ears type of kid, go for the scrapbook.

Oh I kid. One day, I'm gonna have to stick my foot in my mouth for my smart comments. Oh wait, that already happened.

Maybe a combo of the two would work. That's kind of how you are anyway. A down to earth woman with lots of pizazz. I def. think you could do an amazingly crisp digital one on your own that doesn't scream stuck up.

Shannon said...

I know of a lot of afordable ways to do the digital book. I of course prefer scrapping, but that doesn't mean it looks better. I agree that a combo would be nice. And you can use our scanner for free, but there might be a two year old stuck to you through out the process.

Julia said...

You were always so good at scrapbooking back when you used to do it a lot. Remember that one you made for mom? It's beautiful! I think you should go with scrapbooking because I do think it would seem more personal and they'll know you put your heart and soul into making it. Not that people who use blogs are impersonal, but to me, a digital one almost seems like a cop-out. Less time, less detail, less work. And that's not the kind of message you want to send to these women.

You do whatever is right for you. If you need to, you are more than welcome to use my scanner! But really consider the scrapbook. It's much more you, I think.

Shannon said...

Ok I just got a great idea! Why don't you make a slide show on tyour computer and make a lot of dvd copies then you put them in the back of your Homemade scrapbook. Then when someone sees your book they can take it home with them and watch it. It'd be a homemade book that shows you took your time and care and a dvd slideshow that shows you can be classy and technical too. It's a great mix!

Natalie said...

It works a little differently here in SAfrica, but I went the extra mile and our SW was most impressed. I added pictures in to our portfolio and did a little extra. If you like, I can email it to you. You can have a look at it.

Let me know
xxx

Natalie said...

P.S. Please tell me your choices of names! Please...

Emily said...

I personally like the look of a digital scrapbook. I don't scrapbook (because I'm rebelling against it) but I've looked into buying a few digital ones and I'll probably buy one soon. I saw one that someone had made for their grandma. Each page was for a different grandkid and had pictures and a poem for each kid. It was really beautiful and very personal.

swatterson said...

Whatever you decide to do i'm sure it will be great! I would be drawn to the digital one also...but that's just me. That said, I have a scanner and you are more than welcome to use it any old time.