So this is not the big post I was telling you about. Still in the works.
Today, I need some ideas. With our interview one week from today (WOW!) there are a couple of things I'm now faced with. We have to know what we're going to do once the baby is here.
Specifically, daycare plans. I am approved for 6 weeks maternity leave once the baby is here, but after that I have to figure out where the baby will go. Most daycare centers don't take infants, and even if they do how do we "get on the list" and plan for a baby when we have no idea the timing of when we would need the daycare?
This one is hard, because usually I can ask my friends that have adopted all kinds of adoption questions. But they all stay home with their kids, and don't need daycare. I'm struggling with how to answer this. We haven't allowed ourselves to think about these specifics, and now it's so in our face. We have to know these things! Anyone have a suggestion of daycare for infants?
The other thing, we need to have our pediatrician lined up. Any suggestions?
I'm sure there are a hundred thousand other things I'm not prepared for. And so the stressing begins...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
Maybe some of your friends that stay home would be willing to take care of your baby until you could get into a day care. As for pediatricians, just ask around. People that love their Ped love to tell you why!!
Wish I could help more, but without knowing where you are exactly, it's a little hard.
Best of luck!
No help on daycare but, I can tell you that I love my ped. I'll email info to you.
I wrote a crazy long comment, but it wouldn't let me post it so I'll just email you....
My advice is to ask people in your insurance group (work people, etc) who they use as a ped. That's what I did and it worked out great! I love her. A pediatrician that you click with and have similar views as is a MUST.
Your work may only have six weeks of maternity leave but, FMLA requires them to allow 12 weeks. Which means 6 weeks of no pay but also 6 weeks to try and get it all nailed down. As for the ped, we totally recommend Van's, he is a big OU fan, as well as a great doc.
Hi Jessica,
Is there any way you can stay home with your new little baby? Staying home requires sacrifice (less starbucks etc:-) but the small window of time you have with your child when they are young is narrow. Babies (I imagine adopted ones especially) need the consistency of mommy. When you put your child in daycare you are giving someone else the joy of seeing all their special moments and milestones. They get to enjoy your child all day, and you get to see them in the few hours between 5pm and bed-time. (which can sometimes be just a few hours)
I'm not trying to preach, but for your own sake, consider making the sacrifice to be an at home mom. I can guarantee you will not regret it.
God bless you and your family.
Hi Jessica,
I taught school before we adopted our son. I had to finish the contract year and then I started staying home with him. During that time, I had a wonderful lady that kept him in her home. That was the only thing that saved me! It would have been so hard for me to leave him at a daycare. And honestly, we loved Julie and to this day, she loves our little guy but, I cried all day, every day! It was the hardest thing.
We just always assumed that I would work so, we never planned for me to quit.
I have been home for 8 years now and by God's grace, we've made it on a coach's salary! We've always had everything we need, not always what we want. In two years, when my daughter starts school, I will go back to work full time to save for college, retirement, etc.
Since I've been home, I have always worked part time in preschool ministry at a church to help a little bit. It helps with groceries, sports, gymnastics, playdates, etc. My kids have gone to work with me!
I don't preach about what anybody should do b/c I know that everyone loves their children and have to do what is best for their family.
My suggestion on care would be to find a home care provider!! Stay home friends, ask around church, etc. It's the next best alternative, I think! And just ask friends with kids in your area about their pedi. Sometimes that is trial and error. We all feel differently about doctors and you may not love the one your bf does! I have started with one and changed!
Lots to plan and prepare for! Glad you are thinking ahead. Give it lots of prayer and seeking to find what the Lord would have you do!
Blessings to you!
If you follow the advice of these stay at home moms, just plan on having two babies at your house. Because you'll have yours AND mine to take care of.
Now, back to reality. Most daycares that I've looked into all take infants as long as they are 6 weeks old. I called and talked to them about adoption processes and the one we're on the list for says to just call and get on the list even if you don't know when the baby will be here.
Send me the list of ped docs too if you egt a chance.
Blogger wasn't working earlier, but basically what I commented on was I had some thoughts on day care and my ped. If interrested you can email me.
I have the most wonderful pediatrician, truly I wish all docs were as wonderful as he is. Aimee actually reccomended him to me. If you would like his info let me know.
Daycare. One of my good friends is working right now and didn't want to put her new baby in day care, so she actually hired college students to come in and help her during the day. Perhaps students in early child development. Maybe you could put an add in the college paper or something.
I do hope that you get to stay home with your little one soon though. I do know that not everyone has that option and I have alot of compassion for moms who have to leave their kids in daycare. Daniel told me not to long ago about a mom in his office who came to work in tears becase her child was screaming and crying not to be left in daycare. I felt so sorry for that mom, I can't imagine what those mom's go through. I know I've told you this before, but if you get home with that little one and can't bear to leave him you can stay home, it can be done. I know of someone who sold a car to cover expenses because the mom felt she needed to be home with her kiddos.
Love you bunches!
Ashley
Post a Comment